Due to State Indoor Sports Restrictions and Orange County’s return to the Purple Tier,
Upward Basketball is currently ON HOLD.
The Upward Sports Leagues at Rose Drive Friends Church are for all families seeking a league that develops the total athlete Mentally, Athletically, Spiritually, and Socially. Upward Sports athletes grow in character, confidence, faith, and sportsmanship. We strive to promote and teach good sportsmanship and teamwork. Rose Drive Friends Church is one of many participating churches in a program that is available across the nation. For more information about Upward Sports, visit www.upward.org.
Winter 2021 Upward Indoor Basketball
We are excited to announce Upward Basketball at Rose Drive Friends Church this winter, for boys and girls in 1st-6th grade. All teams will practice and play in the Rose Drive Friends Gymnasium with COVID safety protocols. Teams will be cohorts of 6-9 players of the same gender. There will be no competitive play; cohorts will practice and play 3-on-3 together.
Masks or face shields will be required for all players and spectators inside the gym.
Dates: January 4 – February 27 (8 practices and 8 Saturday 3-on-3 cohort games)
• 1st/2nd Grade Boys, 1st/2nd Grade Girls
• 3rd/4th Grade Boys, 3rd/4th Grade Girls
• 5th/6th Grade Boys, 5th/6th Grade Girls
Teams will be limited to nine players. Please note that registration numbers will determine final grade division make-up.
Cost: $150 cost/player includes jersey, shorts, and end-of-season gift. Siblings receive a $10 discount.
Online Registration is open through December 19! REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY ON HOLD
Friend requests are welcomed and encouraged. Please use the carpool link or notes field when registering to alert us of your friend request. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org. You are welcome to bring your own team of a minimum of 6 and no more than 9 players, or you will be placed on a team.
One-hour practices, will begin the week of Monday, January 4, and could be held on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday from 5:30-6:30 PM, 6:45-7:45 PM, or 8-9 PM in the Rose Drive Friends Church gym. Practices are once a week and include a half-time break for the team to come together and share a devotional. You may choose one day of the week that does not work for your schedule during registration.
One cohort game per week: Cohort 3-on-3 games will begin on Saturday, January 9, and occur weekly through February 27. All one-hour games are on Saturdays, ranging from 8 AM to 5 PM, and include a half-time devotional. Games are played on the Rose Drive Friends Church gym. Due to COVID-19, teams will NOT compete against other teams – all game days will be team scrimmages. Game format for all divisions will be 3-on-3.
Evaluations: There will be no player evaluations this year. Please do your best to select your appropriate uniform size during registration.
Coaches: Parents are encouraged to sign up to coach. For the safety of all players, please note that all new head coaches will need to be background checked and fingerprinted at our cost. A registration discount will be offered for all who are willing to act as Head Coach. Head Coaches commit to run weekly practice, oversee the Saturday 3-on-3 play, and present weekly character lessons. All practice materials and equipment (practice schedule, drills, cones, and character lessons) will be provided. For additional information about coaching, please email email@example.com.
We will take every precaution to try and keep your child and family safe while they are at practices and games. Please note the following specific guidelines that will be implementing and that these guidelines are subject to change throughout the season, depending on State and CDC Guidelines.
• Guidelines: All State and CDC COVID-19 Guidelines will be followed. Signs will be posted with screening information based on these guidelines.
• Sickness: Coaches, players, and family members with a fever or other signs of illness should stay home from practices and/or games.
• Hand sanitizing stations will be readily available around the gym. Coaches and players should sanitize hands before entering and after leaving the gym.
• Use of hands will be limited. No high fives or hugging will be permitted; “air fives” and “foot shakes” will be encouraged.
• Volunteers will be limited. Coaches or team managers will act as referees during Saturday team scrimmages.
• Masks or face shields will be required for all players, coaches, and spectators inside the gym.
• Water: Coaches and players should bring their own water bottles clearly labeled with their name. Please bring enough water as there are no available water fountains.
• Social Distancing: Please practice social distancing. Players are asked to do so as they come in and out of the gym. (We understand that the players will not be social distancing at practice.) Coaches are asked to make sure players are spread out appropriately for huddles, line-ups, and devotions. All family members are asked to adhere to social distancing while attending any Upward Sports event. Please keep attendees to games and practice to a minimum. We will make every effort to “stagger” practices and games to reduce traffic concentration.
• Gym capacity will be limited to only 50 people at any given time.
• Restrooms will be open during practices and games. Please note that using these restrooms will be at your own risk. Please wash your hands and use personal hand sanitizer after using the restroom.
Assumption of Risk:
An inherent risk of exposure to diseases (including COVID-19) exists in any public place where people are present even with risk reduction procedures in place. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, senior citizens and guests with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable. By participating in Upward Sports, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and will hold the church harmless in the event of contraction of the disease. Please click HERE for more information about COVID-19.
If the Federal, State or Local government or Rose Drive Friends Church decides that we must close, we will do so.
This is a recreational league, intended to be fun and educational. Friendly competition is welcome but outstanding sportsmanship from both players and spectators is expected at all times.
Please Note: All plans are subject to change as we move through these challenging times. The health and safety of your child(ren) is our priority. We will follow all guidelines that are available to us as we begin our youth sports leagues.
For additional questions, please email Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org.