To be formed in Christ for the sake of others and the glory of God.
We want to be so transformed by our relationships with Christ that it brings change to our community and to the world.
These biblical beliefs, briefly and simply stated, express our understanding of the Christian faith, which we hold in common with other believers.
1. We believe in the one and only God, who exists eternally in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
2. We believe that all humans, male and female, were created by God, in his image, to be loved and known by him. We were made to glorify and enjoy God, but our relationship with him and our very nature has been broken by sin, which has made us all subject to God’s judgment.
3. We believe that all of our world, physical and spiritual, visible and invisible was created by God. We believe our world is also broken by sin and remains in corruption and rebellion and in need of God’s redemption.
4. We believe that God’s gift of his Son is the only and all-sufficient way we can be saved from the guilt, power, and eternal consequences of our sin and restored to a full relationship with him. We believe we receive this salvation only through our repentance and faith in the atoning death and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.
5. We believe that Jesus’ sacrifice is sufficient for salvation because he is truly God’s Son – fully human and fully divine. We believe Jesus’ humanity and divinity are demonstrated through both his death and resurrection and his sinless and miraculous life.
6. We believe that the Holy Spirit will lead those who believe in the Lord Jesus into transformed lives. This radical and divinely empowered transformation happens as we come to see Jesus more clearly, know him more intimately and follow him more closely. This life is marked by increasing conformity to Christ’s goodness and holiness, as we die to our sin and self-seeking. We believe this transformation is accomplished through obedience and self-denial by the believer and empowerment and cleansing by the Holy Spirit.
7. We believe in one universal Church, which is made up of all who have been saved by faith in Jesus Christ and who seek to serve, love, and obey him.
8. We believe that human history will come to an end when Jesus returns and this world is redeemed through the creation of a new heaven and new earth. We believe that all will be raised from the dead, the saved to eternal life with God, the lost to God’s eternal condemnation.
9. We believe the Bible, the Old and New Testaments, is the inspired and authoritative written Word of God. We believe the Bible is entirely trustworthy in all that it teaches and reveals, that we are obligated to obey its teaching and that all of our doctrines and practices are subject to its authority.
*For a more detailed view of our beliefs and convictions as Friends, see our Faith & Practice.